Re-cap of my travels on 2011:
Italy -verona,venice,lucca,rome,cinque terre, rimini beach, asiago.
Croatia-premanture, pula
UK- London, Edinburgh
Germany-Munster
U.S- Crater Lake, Reno, Santa Rosa and Napa Valley.
and in two weeks I'll be in Honolulu, HI
I think for most people any one of these places would have been enough to be happy to go to in one single year...well maybe not Reno. That place is shit. The rest are great!
Anyways I feel like my friends and family think i'm milking this travel cow too much.
But I have a theory, everybody has their things.
for some people that might be spending their money on a photography hobby or snowboarding or new x-boxes/wiis/computers/tvs etc. Or making their house look fabulous with new decor/bedding/furniture/the works. Or maybe you're a movie buff and have a collection of hundreds at home.
Whatever it may be. Those things make you happy in one way or another which I will never bash or look down upon.
However, I don't buy shit. I barely have any clothes, my laptop is 4 years old, I have the cheapest camera created. And I have a rule..don't buy things that won't be able to fit in a 50lb. I live frugally to say the least and when I travel..my souvenirs tend to be postcards and little knicknacks like coasters from bars that i've been too or tickets to museums and such.
These travels may seem extravagant but if you only knew/saw the way I was living. You would realize..that they aren't.
This is "my thing" and would rather not feel like I'm a completely self-indulgent bitch for pursuing something that makes me brighter than the sun.
I feel really guilty spending large sums of money on myself... unless it's on travel, then I don't feel guilty at all. Ever heard that Maya Angelou quote, "Life is not about the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away"? Having a cool car is only going to last until the next cool car comes out... but a trip to Rome...the memories, the pictures the experiences, they are going to be with you FOREVER. I would much rather invest in that. =)
ReplyDeleteI love that quote...a lot! and this comment. Life is definitely about the experiences and not so much about the things. The people you meet or love and the places you see. They'll stay with you forever.
ReplyDeleteThings are just that...things. They get old, they break, and people grow bored of them. The travels you take, like said above, will stick with you forever. But not only will you have the memories, you will grow through each experience - becoming a stronger, more mature person. And beyond that, I've seen how hard you work to go on these adventures. You work so hard, Sarah, that I can't even begin to see your travels as self-indulgent. You are such a fun, adventurous person (and I'm a wee bit jealous hahah). Love you! P.S. I miss you SO much! I'll now proceed to text/facebook you so we can hang out :]
ReplyDelete