Saturday, August 25, 2012

And the world's alright with me.

Dear Blog, Last time that we chatted, I left off in Berlin. So shall continue with the weekend travels? I think we shall. So the following weekend, I left the moonch girls to their own devices and went to Michael's parents house in Southern Holland. I think this was my favourite weekend of all. Michael drove and picked me up practically right after I got off work. We then were on the open road together for an hour which was nice. I really love rooadtrips and listening to music (like follow rivers, lovely day, fat boy slim...the good stuff). Even better, me and this boy are pretty music compatible (besides the dutch techno...but he grew up in Holland, so I can't really blame him). Right. So I was a wee bit nervous to meet the parents. It's nerve racking to meet parents in general at a dinner or family gathering but I was going to be spending the whole weekend with them! The first night, they made bbq which was delicious and a much needed break from buying trainstop dinners or cassels meat and potato medleys. Most importantly, they were a very welcoming family and made me feel right at home even though I just met them and was thousands of miles away from my actual home. After travelling and being away from my home...being in an actual family/home environment is kind of like a treat. You realise how nice it is just lounging in the living room, having a home cooked meal, and topic bouncing banter outside in the gardens. I enjoyed it...quite a lot! Michael, his brother, and I decided to play Monopoly that night... With monopoly, you always have to go around the board once before buying property. I am my fathers daughter..therefore I think I have the "Monopoly kicking ass gene". So I talked myself up. Well...I landed on "Go to Jail" three times in a row!!! How does that even happen? I was totally gutted and we stopped playing. We decided to play (Ludo) ...which I won at. It's kind of like "sorry" but 10x more frustrating and repetitive. The next day was saturday where we woke up late (how glorious)and had a delicious breakfast that included home made black currant jam and the best dutch cheese a girl could ask for! Then we dashed to the Zoo in Arnhem ( a city about an hour from michael's village). Saw some of my favourite animals..made up stories about their lives which luckily michael is silly enough to go along with. Overall, a fun day at the zoo! After the zoo, we went and saw a film at the cinemas (Batman). It felt like a normal date weekend instead of running around from sight to sight, I feel sometimes the normal things that i did back home isn't the normal here therefore it becomes a treat/ exciting when I do them...it's funny how things work. I've never watched a film in Europe before in the cinemas...luckily it wasn't in dutch :) but there was assigned seating..kind of strange but tis the dutch way I suppose. That night before driving home, we walked through this beautiful park where there was this festival going on. I wish I took pictures because this park was so picture-esque with white canopies and twinkly lights everywher. Ducks swimming in the ponds. Little bridges to cross over the creeks. It was a perfect day! the next day, we rode bikes to germany through corn fields and farm land to get to this lake. I was in heaven. I love riding bikes and it was the perfect place to do so! It was about 30 minutes away but took longer due to being lost...being lost wasn't so bad though. When we finally arrived, we were a bit knackered from the weekend so we just lounged around and swam a bit. On the way home michael tried his luck in the cornfields to find some propa good corn for dinner...no such luck unfortunately. We rode bikes through the farm land passing/shaing raw corn on the cob back and forth. I could live like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment