Monday, November 12, 2012

Dear Andy

Dear Andy, I'm sorry I didn't say hi or run up and give you a hug. I really wanted to. I did. I swear. Last May, I was with my fifth graders showing them a tour of Madison. And I kept my eye out and I even saw you. You were in the computer lab with your class. I was hoping you would see me too. But you didn't. Then I contemplated running up and saying hi. I resisted...I didn't want to cause a disruption and worse of all; what if you didn't remember me? Now, I realise that's nonsense! Of course, you would have remembered me! I was in your homeroom class for three solid years. But now it's too late. I wish you could have seen me. Saw that you impacted a person's life and that I'm doing well. I even got out of my nirvana teen angst phase. I turned into a teacher, just like you. And I know that you knew that you impacted many lives but seeing it and hearing a proper thank you, surely would have made you smile. I remember leaving 8th grade and giving you a present. You gave me a huge andy-like hug and I started to cry. You told me that it would be okay, that I would do well and you had faith in me. You also said that your amazing wonderful son Pao was my age, and that you'd always be around to support our class. Andy, if I got to see you one more time. I would tell you that you were an amazing inspiration fun-loving teacher. A teacher that I'm not sure I could live up to even if I taught for 100 years. You gave so much to our community. I truly believe that you saved lives. I just hope you realised that.

No comments:

Post a Comment